Friday, October 14, 2005

The Joys of Word

I just downloaded the Word add-in, and I thought I'd try it out. I love working with Word because I can do anything in it. Word has allowed me to do the following:
Create a Boy Scout patch
Design invitations (Publisher is too much of a hassle)
Design bookmarks for my reading students
Create tables (I'm Excel-challenged)

[will these different fonts and different colors be evident on my blog page?]

The Boy Scout patch was tricky because I had to incorporate different shapes and insert some clip-art pics. The hardest part was eliminating the picture outside the circle.

Of course, I also use Microsoft Picture It! That has allowed me to create my own PowerPoint backgrounds. I didn't know I had Picture It! until I went online to check out photo editing software (what I had just wasn't enough). I read a review of the already available photo editing software, and I noticed that Microsoft Picture It! was listed as second best. Of course, I could've purchased Adobe's Photoshop, but that costs an exorbitant amount, and why do that when I already had Microsoft's. When I saw the review, I remembered seeing Picture It! in the Program Files of my computer. Huh! I never knew I had it or what I could do with it.

I'm an amateur digital photographer; I merely dabble in it. I took a lot of pictures of mundane objects: wallpaper in my parents' home, my couch cover, the cat tunnel, my own doodling masterpieces, and the like. Then, I applied various techniques to the pictures (after transferring them to my computer): distortion, fading, etc. I saved them into My Pictures, and now I use them for presentations and bookmarks and whatever else I can conjure.

I have to grade now, but I'll return when other thoughts surface.





No comments: